Friday, May 24, 2019

In America



In America ..

Millions of unused empty homes every night

Millions of unused empty second homes every night

600,000 homeless Americans every night

Millions of homes taken by banks and real estate/mortgage companies
with no credible effort to assist homeowners to stay in their homes

Over 5 million USA foreclosures since the 08 recession

By banks whose officers still run the USA economy
Whether they served the Obama or Trump governments

Pillars of society
who populate the boards
of our schools and community organizations
while legally stealing millions of American homes and dreams

My home ...
Purchased for $175,000 in 2004

30 year mortgage

By 2008 recession devalued to $85,000

Wife/childrens mother moved out in 2011 “giving me the house” in the divorce along with sole responsibility for our joint mortgage payments 
no longer affordable due to health problems and income changes 

Numerous banks refused to modify mortgage 
to my Social Security/Dsability income
to make it affordable for me
to keep my home me for me and my two daughters

“Do not qualify”
Denied again and again 

May, 2019
Forcibly evicted
by bank
that is now selling my $175,000 house
for $60,000 ...

... same bank that refused to modify my mortgage 
to an affordable amount for me to keep my home

so, this week, my children have lost the home they lived in
since they came home from the hospital

Their home of dreams and memories

For now, as I near my 65th birthday, I rest under the roof
of my 2009 Honda Civic
... and envision a new future

Still full of boundless hope and optimism

Some say “I should have planned better.”
Others say “I should have gotten a better job after I was laid off.”

Shoulda Coulda Woulda

Easier said than done ...

~ zjm